Monday, June 22, 2009










A friend asked me to post up the pictures of the photo reference used for the paintings. Ok, but... just to make perfectly clear... what I'm going for is not pin point accuracy (It's been done by too many others and good luck to 'em) but rather, I'm going for a feeling of energy and a feeling (one might say impression, but that's getting too poncy and too French and so last Century!) I prefer to follow the paint rather than force it (did I just slip into prententious twaddle? I apologise) and when things start to feel forced or too tight, I start to get unhappy with it. I'm enjoying it feeling bright; alive; active. So... let's settle for 'energy'. (Lordy, I feel like I'm about to show my underwear or something, what gives?)








So, yes, for all you literalists out there... I know... the colours are often nowhere near the colour and the shapes pull or push a bit here and there. And really, that's why I prefer the laughing photos to work with because the subject itself has a feel of movement of action, and as grotesque as all those teeth and gums can seem, the overall pose is one of beauty... well, at least I think so. And so, for your curious nosey eyes... the most recent photo reference.

No comments: